Gradings generally take place every 3 months for beginners through to 1st Kyu grades. A student will be eligible to grade when they have gained the required number of training lessons. It is natural that the Chief Instructor will advise for or against a grading if the individual is not ready. A grading must not be rushed and equally it must be taken to show progress and to give the student a sense of achievement.
For Dan grades permission must be sought from the Chief Instructor.
Things to remember
- In order to grade you must have completed the minimum training requirements and be confident that you know the technical requirements in the syllabus. If you are in doubt about your ability to grade please ask your Sensei or Sempai.
- You must hold a valid Anglo Japanese Judo and Ju-Jutsu licence which you will need to take along to your grading. You will not be allowed to grade without one. To apply or renew your licence please click here.
- Please turn up for the grading at least 30 minutes before to give you enough time to warm up.
- All students grading should be wearing an Association Gi (suit) with the association calligraphy on the chest area. To purchase a Gi please ask your Sensei or Sempai.
- Your Gi should be clean and neatly pressed.
- Girls/Women should where a (white) T-shirt under your Gi and boys should be bare chested.
- All jewellery should be removed or taped over.
- All candidates will be notified of their grading result by your Sensei or Sempai. This is usually within 1-2 weeks.